skip to content

Graduate Admissions


If you are a national of an European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland and starting your studies in 2020, you will not require a visa to study in the UK. The countries in the EEA are:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom.

Further information for EEA and Swiss nationals on arrangements following the UK leaving the European Union is outlined on the International Students website.

If you do not hold a UK or EU/EEA passport, then you are likely to need to apply for a visa in order to study at the University of Cambridge. A Tier 4 visa is issued to study in the UK. It is your responsibility to identify whether you require a visa, and to understand and comply with the immigration requirements.

If you do require a Tier 4 visa, the University must sponsor you and will issue you with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) reference number for your visa application.

If you already have UK immigration permission in another capacity, e.g. as a dependent, a family member or based on ancestry, you may be able to study on that visa without needing to apply under Tier 4.

For information on visas, we strongly recommend that you read the following web pages and understand the requirements before making your application to study:

You cannot begin a course at the University of Cambridge using an existing Tier 4 visa that is sponsored by another institution.

The Graduate Admissions Office is not qualified to advise you on visas and immigration. The International Student Office provides a visa advice service on a range of student-related immigration matters for applicants, students and their family members.