skip to content

Graduate Admissions


Your fee status will influence the type of financial aid available to you and so it is important that you are correctly classified. Your offer of admission to the University will say what we believe your fee status to be, based on the information you have provided in your application form.

All students who are not classified as either Home or EU will be classified as Overseas. Students from the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are classed as Overseas students and are therefore charged tuition fees at the Overseas rate.

If you believe that we have misclassified you please read the page on Fee Reassessment.

Criteria for classification as Home or EU/Exchange student

Please note that the definition of Overseas student adopted by the University for the purposes of payment of the Composition Fee is liable to change in order to comply with the requirements of UK legislation.

There are a number of requirements which must be met in order to be eligible for Home or EU fees. Listed below are the two main requirements. Please note that these are not the only requirements that you will need to meet. For further information on these and other requirements please consult the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website. Students must meet the requirements of both settled status and ordinary residence in the first instance.

Settled status/nationality

This means that students must be nationals of the UK or another EU country, or have the right of permanent residence or indefinite leave to enter/remain in the UK (ie they must not be subject under immigration laws to any restriction on the period for which they may stay in the UK).

Ordinary residence

This means that in addition, students must also have been ordinarily resident in the UK, the EU, Switzerland or the Overseas Territories for the three years prior to the start date of the course for which they are applying, and that residence should not have been wholly or mainly for the purposes of receiving education. Being absent from the UK/EU due to study abroad is usually considered a temporary absence and does not affect ordinary residence if the home/permanent address is within the UK/EU.

If you have already been admitted as a graduate student, and disagree with your fee status, you may request a fee reassessment from the Graduate Admissions Office who will consult the UKCISA guidelines before making a decision. Please see Fee Reassessment for details. Decisions on fee reassessment will be based on the evidence that you have submitted; if you have any further, or new, information please submit this as soon after the decision as possible.


This is a general summary of the main criteria for fee status classification, but there are exceptions, as well as other requirements, which must be taken into account. There are also other categories of students who might also be eligible for Home or EU fees, for example, Swiss workers and their family members, children of Swiss nationals* or Turkish workers, and refugees or students not granted refugee status but allowed to remain in the UK. Students who are admitted onto a course as part of the arrangements for a fully reciprocal exchange of students with an institution outside the UK are also eligible for Home/EU fees.

*Please note that the University of Cambridge does not require Swiss parents to be exercising a right of residence in the UK in order to meet the criteria for this category.