skip to content

Graduate Admissions


A transcript is a list of all the courses you have taken (or are currently taking) during a programme of study, with the result you obtained, and sometimes the credit value of each course. If you have completed your study, the transcript should also show your final award (usually as a class or CGPA).

What you need to send and when

Uncertified copies and provisional versions of your transcript should be provided through the Applicant Portal as part of your application. You will not need to send a final and original transcript until you receive an offer. We will need to verify the authenticity of your transcript if you receive an offer, so a condition of your offer will be that you send the final transcript: either the original (which we cannot return), a certified copy, or an electronic version sent via a secure electronic transcript system.

If you will need to apply for a visa to study in the UK, do not send us your only original of any document that you will need to provide to UK Visas and Immigration. This usually includes transcripts. You will need to either obtain more originals or send us certified copies.

Obtaining, translating and sending transcripts

Even if you are only supplying an uncertified or provisional copy, you should request your transcripts from your institution before you begin your application, so that you have them ready to upload. The academic registry at your university will be able to produce a transcript of courses you have taken or are currently taking, but it may take a number of days for them to process and send this to you. You may be charged for this service.

If your documents are not in English, you must also upload a full translation of each document, prepared by a registered translator. Do not translate the documents yourself.

Please do not write on any of your documents before you upload or send them. If you do, we will not accept them.

Uncertified copies or provisional versions of transcripts should be uploaded to your self-service account. Originals or certified copies should be sent to the Graduate Admissions Office.

Applicants who are registered as a University of Cambridge student should obtain an unofficial transcript from their self-service page for current students. The downloaded transcript is digitally signed and cannot be uploaded directly to the self-service; applicants will need to first print the transcript and scan it before being able to upload it.