skip to content

Graduate Admissions


If you are not eligible to hold a UK or EU passport, then you are likely to need to apply for a visa in order to enter the UK.

The UK operates a points-based immigration system; you must apply for a Tier 4 visa as a prospective student. It is your responsibility to identify whether you require a visa, and to understand and comply with the immigration requirements.

If you do require a Tier 4 visa, the University must sponsor you and will issue you with a CAS for your visa application.

If you already have UK immigration permission in another capacity, for example a dependent visa, work visa or ancestry visa, you may be able to study on that visa without needing to apply under Tier 4.

For information on visas, we strongly recommend that you read the following web pages and understand the requirements before making your application to study:

You cannot begin a course at Cambridge using an existing Tier 4 visa that is sponsored by another institution.

The Graduate Admissions Office is not qualified to advise you on visa and immigration issues. Please consult the University’s International Student Team and Home Office guidance for specialist advice.

Visa pilot scheme for Masters students

The University has been selected by the Home Office, along with a small number of other UK universities, to participate in a Tier 4 visa pilot scheme. Students applying for a Tier 4 visa to study on a Masters course of 13 months or less for 2017/18 entry will automatically be eligible for the scheme which provides access to a streamlined visa application process and six months of additional leave on their visa from the course end date.