You will need to provide the details of one or two referees who can provide academic references written in English.
Check that you have the correct email address for your referees and that your referees are happy and able to provide a reference for you. Institutional email addresses are preferred. Other email addresses can be used, and are sufficient at the application stage, but we would need to take extra steps to verify such references when we make an offer. This might include asking for the reference to be sent again, on paper, if authenticity cannot be confirmed by other means.
When you are completing the online application form you will be asked to provide details of your referees, including their email address. A reference request can then be sent from the online application form to your referee. References are then submitted by the referee via our online Referee Portal, and you will be notified when they have been submitted. You can also send reminders to your referees via the online application form.
References should be submitted within 7 days of the submission of your application form.
If you do not have an email address for your referee, please follow the instructions below for submitting the reference on paper.
The Graduate Admissions Office are not able to:
- accept references sent by email either from the applicant or directly from the referee
- use references from any previous application that you have made
- send reminders to referees, or contact them to chase outstanding references (you can do this yourself via the online application form)
Who should you nominate as an academic referee?
|You are||Your First Referee||Your Second Referee|
|Currently studying (or recently finished studying) at Undergraduate Level||A tutor from your Undergraduate degree course||A second tutor from your Undergraduate degree course|
|Currently studying (or recently finished studying) at (Post)Graduate Level||A tutor or supervisor from your (post) Graduate degree course||A tutor from your Undergraduate degree course or present graduate tutor|
|Have not recently studied||A member of academic staff from your most recent Higher Education course||Your employer or another person who can testify to your academic ability in a formal context|
If you do not have an email address for your referee, or referee is unable to use the Electronic Reference System, please follow the steps below:
- Download the Academic Reference Instruction Form (available in either PDF or Word format.)
- Fill in Part I of the form, using the application number provided to you in your self-service account.
- Download a cover sheet from your self-service account.
- Give the form and cover sheet to your referee.
- The referee must then send the following three things as a package:
- their reference on headed notepaper with an original signature (we cannot accept electronic or scanned signatures),
- the completed form,
- the cover sheet.
- The referee should send these in a sealed envelope, with their name signed across the seal, to the address given at the bottom of the form.
Please note that if the form and cover sheet are not included with the reference we may have trouble matching it with your application.