You will need to provide the details of one or two referees who can provide academic references written in English.
References are submitted by the referee via an Electronic Reference System, which referees have access to after you have submitted your application.
You will be asked to provide an email address for your referees on your online application form. Check that you have the correct email address for your referee and that your referee is happy and able to provide a reference for you before you submit your application form and payment.
Institutional email addresses are preferred. Other email addresses can be used, and are sufficient at the application stage, but we would need to take extra steps to verify such references when we make an offer. This might include asking for the reference to be sent again, on paper, if authenticity cannot be confirmed by other means.
If you do not have an email address for your referee, please follow the instructions below for submitting the reference on paper.
Your referee will receive an email within 30 hours of you submitting your online application form and payment, giving them access to the online Electronic Referencing System.
It is your responsibility to ensure that the references are provided within 2 weeks of you submitting the online application form. You should contact your referee directly to ensure they provide the reference by the deadline.
After a reference has been successfully submitted by a referee, you will receive a confirmation email, and the item will disappear from your self-service account.
The Graduate Admissions Office are not able to:
- accept references sent by email either from the applicant or directly from the referee
- use references from any previous application that you have made.
- send reminders to referees, or contact them to chase outstanding references
Who should you nominate as an academic referee?
|You are||Your First Referee||Your Second Referee|
|Currently studying (or recently finished studying) at Undergraduate Level||A tutor from your Undergraduate degree course||A second tutor from your Undergraduate degree course|
|Currently studying (or recently finished studying) at (Post)Graduate Level||A tutor or supervisor from your (post) Graduate degree course||A tutor from your Undergraduate degree course or present graduate tutor|
|Have not recently studied||A member of academic staff from your most recent Higher Education course||Your employer or another person who can testify to your academic ability in a formal context|
If you do not have an email address for your referee, or referee is unable to use the Electronic Reference System, please follow the steps below:
- Download the Academic Reference Instruction Form (available in either PDF or Word format.)
- Fill in Part I of the form, using the application number provided to you in your self-service account.
- Download a cover sheet from your self-service account.
- Give the form and cover sheet to your referee.
- The referee must then send the following three things as a package:
- their reference on headed notepaper with an original signature (we cannot accept electronic or scanned signatures),
- the completed form,
- the cover sheet.
- They should send these in a sealed envelope, with their name signed across the seal, to the address given at the bottom of the form.
Please note that if the form and cover sheet are not included with the reference we may have trouble matching it with your application.