skip to content

Graduate Admissions


Last updated: 27 March 2020


The University of Cambridge is carefully monitoring the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, and recognise that its impact may create uncertainty for our offer holders and future students.

Please note the following:

  • Our phone lines are now closed until further notice.
  • Please do not send us any original documents by post until further notice.

We are working to better understand the impact this may have particularly with regards to applicants meeting academic and language conditions and, once the situation becomes clearer, we will provide further information on this page. In the meantime, we wish to reassure all offer holders that we will do all that we can to support you and minimise the impact this may have on your admission. 

We encourage all applicants and offer holders to pay close attention to the guidance issued by the authorities in their home country, and also the University's dedicated page:


Frequently Asked Questions

During the circumstances surrounding the Coronavirus, we know you probably have lots of questions relating to your application or offer, so we’ve gathered together answers to some of the most frequently asked questions below.

And if you have a question you don't see the answer to, you can find more answers on our FAQ page.


Q. Can I still submit an application to study?

Yes, we are still accepting applications for the academic year 2020/21, so please visit our dedicated how to apply page for guidance.

Q. I haven't received an offer yet, is this due to the Coronavirus?

Due to the exceptional circumstances surrounding the coronavirus (COVID-19), the Graduate Admissions Office will still be issuing offers of admission, however there may be some delays. Please continue to check the Applicant Portal for updates.

Q. When will I hear about my postgraduate funding application?

For those students who have applied for funding through the Applicant Portal, we are continuing to allocate awards according to our usual time frame. The majority of Research Council and Gates Cambridge Trust initial awards will be made by the end of March/mid-April, with possible further awards to be offered until July. The Cambridge Trust will continue to make awards until the summer.

For more information on the competition please visit Graduate Funding Competition page

Q. Can I call you to discuss my enquiry?

Due the University wide closure we are no longer able to answer phone enquiries. We ask that you bear with us at this difficult time, and we will continue to post updates on the website, social media and send emails as soon as we have more information. If you still need to contact us, please do so by submitting an enquiry form. We are processing a high volume of emails so there may be a delay in our response. 

Q. I need to book an English language test, but the test centre in my country is closed – what do I do?

If you have received an offer of admission to the University, you may have been set a condition to achieve the required English language score by the relevant offer conditions deadline.

If you have received an offer of admission to the University, you may have been set a condition to achieve the required English language score by the relevant offer conditions deadline. If your course starts in Michaelmas Term 2020 (October), the deadline to provide English language test results is 31 July. We are aware some test centres are currently closed in some countries, however there is still time to provide the documents by this date. 

If you are eligible for an assessment by the University of Cambridge Language Centre, we will notify you via the Self-service portal, so please continue to check your account regularly for updates. 

The University has created a dedicated website to provide support and useful resources to help you prepare for an IELTS test, visit here for more information.

We also recommend you check the following websites regularly for updates on language test centres.

Click here for IELTS updates

Click here for TOEFL updates

Q. I cannot complete my undergraduate or postgraduate course and/or provide my final transcript because my education has been disrupted or my university has closed. What do I do?

If you have received an offer to study with us, you would normally have been set a condition to achieve your qualification at a certain grade and provide your final transcript by the offer conditions deadline. The deadline for Michaelmas Term 2020 offer holders is 31 July. If you will be unable to provide us with your final transcript by this date due to the coronavirus please keep monitoring these pages and we will provide guidance on how to proceed when we have more information. We continue to monitor the situation and updates will be provided on this page as and when they become available.

Q. Can I post you my transcripts/I have already posted my transcripts

Please do not send us any documents by post until further notice. We understand this is cause for concern, and we will provide further updates to this page as soon as possible. We continue to work with the various delivery services for guidance on how post will be handled.  There may be a delay in processing documents, so if you have already sent us your documents by post please continue to check your self-service portal regularly.

Q. I would like to defer my place, how do I do this?

Students who were due to start in Easter Term 2020 have been deferred to Michaelmas Term 2020. 

Please see the FAQ page about deferring for more information on deferrals. Any further updates to the deferral process will be provided on this page as and when they become available. 

Q. Can I change my College preferences?

You are able to change your choice of College preferences within 14 days of submitting your application, as long as a formal offer to study has not been made, by contacting the Graduate Admissions Office. Due to exceptional circumstances surrounding the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, we are unable to process any formal College transfer requests until further notice. Please continue to check this webpage regularly for updates.

If another College has offered you a full scholarship, or substantial funding, you should contact the Senior Tutor or Graduate Tutor of the College that originally accepted you, to discuss your options. Please do not contact other Colleges directly.