skip to content

Graduate Admissions


For information on applying as an international (non-UK) student, please see our International pages.

Q. How will the result from the EU Referendum affect my intended studies?

It is not currently known what the impact of leaving the EU will have on UK policy on higher education tuition fees, loans and bursaries. However, the University can confirm that EU students who are already studying at Cambridge, who have an offer to study at Cambridge, or who have applied to start their studies in 2017 will not be subject to the overseas fee at any point during the course of their study, provided this continues to be permitted by UK law. The fee for those students will remain at the Home/EU rate applicable at the time.  

For more information, please go to

Q. Will I be required to pass a language test?

Whether or not you have to take a language test set will depend on a number of conditions. Please see our Competence in English pages for more information.

Q. Why am I being asked to submit a language test when my first language is English or I have studied in the UK?

The Applicant Portal will automatically request an English language test from you based on your nationality.

If you have previously studied in the UK for a minimum of three years, and your course was completed within two years of the proposed course start date at Cambridge, you would not normally need to provide a language test.

If this does not apply to you, you will normally be asked to provide a language test.

If you believe you do not need to provide a language test, please select "Other" in the Applicant Portal and state your reasons why.

If you are made an offer, we will decide whether or not a test is required. If the test is required, it will be a condition of your offer to provide it.

Q. When do I need to take my language test?

You do not need to take the test before you apply.

If you are made a conditional offer and have not already met our language requirements, one of the conditions of your offer will be that you pass a test at the required level.

Please note that test results only remain valid for two years.

Q. I narrowly missed the language requirement. What do I do?

Please submit your language certificate so that it may be assessed and a decision taken by the academic department that runs your course and the Board of Graduate Studies.

Q. Does my non-UK qualification meet your academic requirements?

Please use the equivalence guidelines lookup tool at the end of the International Qualifications page.

Q. When will I receive my CAS/ATAS statement?

We can only issue your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) once you have met all of the conditions of your offer and your admission is shown as confirmed on your Self-Service account. See the CAS page for more details.

We cannot provide information on the status of your Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) application. If you have any queries regarding this, please contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office directly.

If an ATAS is required for your course, you must upload the certificate once you have received it from the FCO, to your Self-Service account.

Q. Can I arrange for my IELTS certificate to be posted to you?

No, please do not arrange for IELTS certificates to be posted to us. Upload a copy using your Applicant Portal. We are able to verify the authenticity of your results online.

If you do not have the official certificate, we will also accept an uploaded screen print of your score report, as long as it shows your IELTS registration number.