Information on this page is for students wishing to continue or be readmitted as a graduate student.
You will be applying as a 'continuer' or 'readmitter' if you are currently, or have previously been, registered as a graduate student at Cambridge on a PhD, MPhil, MRes, MSt, MASt, LLM, MCL, MMus, MEd, Graduate Diploma or a Certificate in Advanced Study in Mathematics (Part III Maths).
Please note that all applicants, including continuing and readmitting students, must provide the details of two referees who can provide academic references written in English. Please see the Academic References page for more details.
If a conditional offer of continuation is made, your papers will be forwarded to Colleges for consideration.
- You may choose up to two Colleges to consider your application. If neither College is able to offer you membership, or you do not record a choice, your application will be randomly allocated to a College.
- If you would like your current College to consider your application, please put this as one of your two choices.
- We strongly advise that before you submit your application you contact the Graduate Tutor at the Colleges you state as first and second choice, if these are different to your current College, to find out what their procedures are for continuing students.
- You are also advised to contact the Graduate Tutor at your current College to advise of your intentions, as a matter of courtesy.
- It is not possible to change your College choices once your application has been submitted to the Board of Graduate Studies.
Undertaking a Second Degree of the Same Type
It is not possible to be awarded a degree of the same type at the University of Cambridge more than once. For example, students who have already been awarded a Master of Philosophy (MPhil) may not be awarded a second MPhil, if the first was awarded by the University of Cambridge.
In exceptional circumstances the Degree Committee and the Board of Graduate Studies may agree to accept you on the degree course and award a certificate of attendance on completion of the program. If you wish to apply on that basis, you should discuss it with the department responsible for running the course prior to submitting an application. Then sign the Applying for a Second Degree of the Same Type declaration form and upload it as a supporting document to your application for admission.
Current or Previous MSt Students
If you are, or have previously been, an MSt student and are applying to another graduate course, please submit/upload a copy of your MSt application (available from the Institute of Continuing Education). Please note that your application cannot be processed until this is received. The Board cannot obtain a copy on your behalf.